Hanging out and watching Dew Tour on NBC, NBC Sports Network or on the Dew Tour Live stream online sounds pretty good, but we think what sounds better is coming out and being a part of the action! Being on site has more to offer than just the best athletes in the world kicking off the competition season on first-class courses -- Dew Tour brings together all things snowboard and freeski culture for a nearly a week full of fun in fresh snow!
So, if you live in the Colorado area but haven't already made the decision to come out to the event in person, read below for a few things we bet you didn't know and think may change your mind.
10. Scope out new gear and win prizes inside the Dew Tour Experience! The Dew Tour Experience connects the fans of action sports to the brands that help sponsor the events. Expect the Dew Tour Experience to be booming with your fresh products from your favorite brands, autograph signings with the best athletes and tons of chances to win something rad between the action on the hill!
9. Dew Tour's iON Mountain Championships have teamed up with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) to be named the first of five official Olympic Selection events. What does this mean? It means, the competition is steeper, the stakes are higher and the best of the best will be competing for one of the few select spots on the U.S. Olympic teams. As athletes gear up for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia Dew Tour will set the stage for the Americans hoping to represent their country. Get the rest of the scoop on Dew Tour teaming up with the USSA here.
8. LIVE music! Indie pop band Fitz and The Tantrums will be rocking out at 7:30pm Saturday night, December 14 at the Riverwalk Center in Breckenridge. The building will fill with their neo-soul sound while they play favorites like "Out of my League" and "The Walker" after an opening warm-up act from electronic music duo The Knocks. Tickets are available $25 and available for purchase online NOW!
7. Connect with the culture and attend Dew Tour's Recognize: Film, a showcase of the most notable ski and snowboard films from the past season. Recognize: Film will honor athletes and videographers for their work outside of competition and proceeds from the event will be donated to SOS Outreach, a youth development program as part of Dew Tour's dedication to the community. The film festival kicks off the weekend at 7pm Thursday, December 12 at Riverwalk Center. Tickets are $5 and available for purchase online NOW!
6. For the first time ever, Freeski will be included in the Winter Olympics and Dew Tour will provide U.S. athletes like Tom Wallisch and Devin Logan the chance to throw down before an international panel of judges before they take their tricks to Russia -- and you could catch all of the action LIVE! Show your support and be there in person to root on the athletes as they make history. Check out the video Slopestyle Defined: The Freeskier's Perspective and hear straight from Wallisch and Logan what freeski slopestyle will bring to the world's stage.
5. Breckenridge Mountain Resort is prepped and ready for you! Breck's park crew has been busier than ever prepping the terrain parks including the Freeway and Park Lane, making them better than ever to shred. The new parks even include a feature designed by a fan! Additionally, Breck will soon be opening Peak 6. The Peak 6 expansion will include 543 additional acres, 10 new trails and 2 new chairlifts. The new peak will add just over 20% of new trails for you to get out and shred. Be sure to check it all out in between events at Dew Tour and get ready for the Peak 6 unveiling next week!
4. We think doing things with your family is fun, which is why Dew Tour is a free, family-friendly event where you and your siblings can actually agree on how rad something is while watching from the sidelines. What's more fun is shredding with your family, and this year the Dew Tour has invited multiple sets of brothers and sisters from around the globe to come compete. Check out which siblings will rival for the podiums before you get there and be sure to bring your family for some quality, adrenaline-pumping time!
3. Standing on the sideline means you will be the first of all your friends to see who wins! Be the first to start keeping track of USSA points and see if your favorites make it to the top of the podium! Don't forget, that also makes you the first person with the chance to Tweet or Instagram the winner in person, making all of your friends that stayed home jealous! Tag @DewTour and #DewTour in all of your posts and we'll be sure to Like your photos!
2. The chance to meet your favorite athletes! When the pros are not out there throwing down big tricks for the judges or back in the Dew Tour Experience signing autographs, they’ll be keeping warm in the lodge and watching the other events just like you! It doesn't get much cooler than bumping into your idol in person, you may even end up sharing a chairlift to the top.
1. The entire weekend is FREE! Where else can you meet your favorite pros AND see a word-class competition for free? Come out to Breckenridge for the iON Mountain Championships and we promise you'll have a good time on us!